- Twenty-nine percent of restaurant operators reported a same-store sales gain between October 2007 and October 2008, up slightly from 26 percent who reported a sales gain in September.
- Sixty percent of operators reported a same-store sales decline in October, matching the proportion who reported negative sales in September.
- Twenty percent of restaurant operators reported an increase in customer traffic between October 2007 and October 2008, up slightly from 15 percent who reported similarly in September.
- Sixty-five percent of operators reported a traffic decline in October, compared to 66 percent who reported negative traffic in September.
- Eighteen percent of operators expect economic conditions to improve in six months, up from 14 percent who reported similarly last month.
- Forty percent of operators said they expect economic conditions to worsen in six months, down from 50 percent who reported similarly last month.
Restaurant operators continue to cut back on plans for capital spending. Just 37 percent of restaurant operators plan to make a capital expenditure for equipment, expansion or remodeling in the next six months, down from 41 percent last month and the lowest level on record. While the RPI is released on the last business day of each month, more detailed data and analysis can be found on Restaurant TrendMapper, www.restaurant.org/trendmapper, the Association's subscription-based Web site that provides detailed analysis of restaurant industry trends.