• Pizzeria owner charged with discrimination for banning Germans, French

COPENHAGEN, Denmark -- The owner of a Danish pizzeria who won't serve German and French tourists was charged with discrimination on April 22.

According to the Associated Press, Aage Bjerre, who owns a pizzeria on Denmark's Fanoe Island, has refused to serve tourists from Germany and France since February, after both countries denied support for the U.S.-led war in Iraq. He called them "anti-American." (See Dane shows U.S. loyalty by refusing pizza service to Germans, French.)

According to the report, no trial date has been set. If found guilty, Bjerre could be fined $735.

Bjerre displayed two pictograms on his shop door, much like the ones that show the outline of a cigarette, with a bar across it.

One featured the silhouette of a man colored red, yellow and black (the colors of the German flag), and the second was painted blue, white and red (the French flag's colors). Both silhouettes bore a bar across each man.

The island, which is 200 miles southwest of Copenhagen, is home to 3,300 people and draws 100,000 visitors a year, 60 percent of which are German. The other 40 percent are mostly Scandinavian and Dutch. According to the report, there are few French visitors.

Related Content

User Comments – Give us your opinion!
Products & Services

PeopleMatter HIRE™

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/4625.png

4625/PeopleMatter-HIRE

Pizza POS Software

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/5937.png

5937/Pizza-POS-Software

Online Ordering

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/5931.png

5931/Online-Ordering

iiX Custom Points Program

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/custompoints.gif

1423/iiX-Custom-Points-Program

AquaCafe

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6965.png

6965/AquaCafe

Quad Core Menu Board Media Player - $199

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6679.png

6679/Quad-Core-Menu-Board-Media-Player-199

Free Menu Board Media Player Promotion

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6675.png

6675/Free-Menu-Board-Media-Player-Promotion

See the latest in restaurant POS

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/1926.png

1926/See-the-latest-in-restaurant-POS

Luzianne iced tea

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/6957.png

6957/Luzianne-iced-tea

Put your menu in your customers' pocket

http://global.networldalliance.com/new/images/products/1293.png

1293/Put-your-menu-in-your-customers-pocket

Request Information From Suppliers
Save time looking for suppliers. Complete this form to submit a Request for Information to our entire network of partners.