Toronto-based Pizza Pizza has joined the Heart and Stroke Foundation's Health Check program with five menu items, including new pizzas and a salad, that meet the nutritional criteria of the program.
Customers can locate these choices in the "Thinking Healthy" section on pizzapizza.ca. Pizza Pizza is one of the first Canadian restaurant chains to join the program.
"Meeting the Health Check criteria has been on our priority list," said Pat Finelli, chief marketing officer for Pizza Pizza. "We have been working together to satisfy the standards of the Heart and Stroke Foundation while maintaining our taste and value pricing priorities."
The Heart and Stroke Foundation developed the Health Check program to help Canadians identify food products and menu items that meet nutritional criteria based on Canada's Food Guide. The Foundation's registered dietitians evaluate each product and menu item to determine eligibility for a Health Check symbol.
Pizza Pizza has worked to ensure that its Health Check menu items meet the strict requirements for nutrients, including sodium, fat, sugar, protein and fiber, as well as portion size. A Health Check serving is two slices of a medium pizza.
Pizza Pizza's Health Check menu items now include:
- Chicken Rustica (new), $10.99 for medium pizza: On whole wheat multigrain dough, chicken, roasted red peppers, grilled zucchini and red onion;
- Grilled Veggie and Goat Cheese Pizza (new) $10.99 for medium pizza: On whole wheat multigrain dough, classic tomato sauce, grilled zucchini, fire roasted red peppers, red onion, goat cheese and mozzarella cheese;
- Trio Pommodoro Pizza, $9.99 for medium pizza: On whole wheat multigrain dough, Roma tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted garlic, bruschetta sauce, parmesan and mozzarella cheese;
- Garden Veggie Pizza, $9.99 for medium pizza: On classic or whole wheat multigrain dough, Roma tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, green peppers, classic tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese; and
- Garden Salad, $4.99: Leafy greens with raspberry vinaigrette dressing.
Health Check menu items are the newest addition to a lineup of health-conscious initiatives introduced by Pizza Pizza over the past few years, including gluten-free dough, whole wheat multigrain dough and the removal of transfats.
Read more about health and nutrition.