Pizza Hut and the BOOK IT! Program have announced the winners of the second annual BOOK IT! Big Book Giveaway. The giveaway challenges Pizza Hut restaurants nationwide to submit creative donation ideas for a chance to distribute 500 books in their communities in celebration of National Young Readers Week, Nov. 7-11.
For the giveaway, more than 6,000 Pizza Hut restaurants nationwide participated. Each entry featured a description of how the donation of books would impact the community. Many of the winners are hosting celebrations for the recipients and local families to award the books.
There were twenty Pizza Hut locations selected as winners from across the country. Some of the winning ideas include:
- Brookville, Ohio: Host a parade at Children's Medical Center with Pizza Hut volunteers wearing book character costumes while distributing books to the hospital patients;
- Hoover, Ala.: Donate books to elementary schools in rural Tuscaloosa County, which was dramatically damaged from the recent tornado season;
- Houston: Host a Pizza Hut celebration at Travis Elementary and honor the "Mission: Go Travis Book Club:" a group of students committed to finding fellow students who do not have books at home and providing them opportunities to read by sharing their own books and creating a club library;
- Joplin, Mo: Donate books to schools that lost many materials during the tornado season; and
- Marysville, Mich.: Donate books to an elementary school in Marysville as it is a "Gateway to Learning" for its students. To present the books, the school staff provides each teacher with a Pizza Hut/BOOK IT! reading tracker dry erase board and discusses the importance of reading and supports the core values of the school.
Founded in 1989 by Pizza Hut and the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress, National Young Readers Week is an annual event that encourages young readers to get excited about reading. Pizza Hut established the BOOK IT! National Reading Incentive Program in 1985.
Read more about cause marketing.