The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has recognized the country's top vegan pizzerias, with 3 Brothers Pizza Café in Rockville Centre, N.Y. named No. 1.
According to the PETA website, Brothers was recognized for its entire vegan menu, including "mozzarella" sticks and fried "calamari."
Boston's Peace o'Pie's Neapolitan Pizza, with basil, tomato slices and organic tofu ricotta, was named as PETA's first runner-up.
The second runner-up was Akron, Ohio-based VegiTerranean's Chrissie's Choice Pizza.
Other finalists included:
- zpizza's Berkeley Vegan Pizza;
- Norfolk, Va.'s Red Dog Saloon's Vegan Buffalo Chicken Pizza;
- Pizza Pi's (Seattle) White Lightning Pizza;
- Pala Pizza's (New York) Funghi e Salsiccia;
- Ian's Pizza's (Chicago) Vegan-By-The-Slice;
- Village Pizza's (Atlanta) Village Vegan Deluxe Pizza;
- Patxi's Chicago Pizza's (San Francisco) Vegan Deep Dish; and
- Pizza Luce's (Minneapolis) Vegan Rustler Pizza.
Pizza Fusion and Blackbird Pizzeria also appeared on the ballot as write-ins.
Read more about food and beverage offerings.