- WHITE PAPERS
COLUMBUS, Ohio—Some 60 pizza makers will battle for two spots on the U.S. Pizza Team when the Pizza Pizzazz kicks off at the North America Pizza & Ice Cream Show (NAPICS) in Columbus, Ohio, Feb. 8-9, at the Greater Columbus Convention Center.
According to a news release, contestants compete in two categories--best gourmet pizza and best traditional pizza--using their own ingredients.
Each of two winners pockets $600 cash, plus an expenses-paid trip to Salsamaggiore, Italy, where they will compete on the U.S. Pizza Team at the World Pizza Championships, March 29-31.
Forty-five contestants compete each day (some compete in both categories) to become one of five finalists in each category. From those five, one winner is chosen. Second and third place finishers win $400 and $200 cash respectively.
Twenty-five judges taste the pies, and critique them on appearance, marketability and taste.
The gourmet contest takes place on Feb. 8, and the traditional contest follows on Feb. 9. On both days each contest begins at 10:30 a.m., and concludes with awards presentations at 1:30 p.m.
Attendees of NAPICS are encouraged to watch the contest and interact with the competitors. For more information on attending the show, click here.
See related NAPICS articles ...
* PizzaMarketplace launches petition drive to support anti-obesity lawsuit legislation
* North America Pizza & Ice Cream Show serves up strong slate of speakers, panels
* NAPICS to offer first-ever hands-on Pizza Test Kitchen
* First-ever Pizza Operators Workshop to kick off 2004 North America Pizza & Ice Cream Show
* North America Pizza & Ice Cream Show to offer unprecedented programming and exhibits