Domino's to use wireless credit-card terminals in India

 
May 28, 2002

MUMBAI, India -- Citibank India has introduced a wireless application that uses mobile telephone and SMS technologies for quick, secure authorizations of point-of-sale credit card transactions.

According to the Times News Network, the new technology soon will allow Domino's Pizza stores in India accept credit cards from its pizza delivery customers.

The new wireless application, which Citibank claims is the world's first of its type, has been designed for merchant establishments that do not have electronic data capture (EDC) terminals.

Only about 40 percent of the merchant establishments in India have EDC terminals for online card authorizations. The remaining 60 percent authorize customer cards by calling authorization centers manually.

With the new Citibank wireless application, merchants are provided a mobile phone with an enhanced high capacity SIM card. The phone is loaded with special software that allows the merchant to key in the customer's card number, expiration date and amount, which are then sent to the bank as an SMS message. Once authorization is received, the customer signs the charge slip, completing transaction.


Topics: POS , Telecommunications


Related Content


Latest Content


comments powered by Disqus

 

TRENDING

 

WHITE PAPERS