Pizza Hut has teamed up with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to mark the return of the brand's Cheesy Bites. The summer-long promotion culminates with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' new movie, which debuts Aug. 8 from Paramount Pictures.
First introduced in 2006, Cheesy Bites Pizza has 28 cheese-filled bites that take the place of a traditional crust edge. A large, one-topping Cheesy Bites pizza is available starting today for $11.99.
The Pizza Hut and Turtles brands have partnered up before with live concerts, packaging promotions and more, according to a news release.
"There's no denying the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' love of pizza, which is one of the many reasons it fits having our brand fuel their hunger in the upcoming film," CMO Carrie Walsh said in the release. "Coupling the popularity of the Ninja Turtles to our pizza innovation, we're thrilled to be bringing back a fan favorite in Cheesy Bites Pizza that combines the great pizza taste with a little 'food fun' for fans to enjoy."
The 2014 partnership with Pizza Hut and the Ninja Turtles includes augmented reality, digital videos, hidden menus, custom pizza boxes and the return of The Pizza Thrower vehicle at live events. Also, the Pizza Hut campaign around the movie launch will be supported with a national TV spot featuring the Turtles invading a Pizza Hut test kitchen.
There will be a variety of opportunities for fans to engage with the campaign, including:
- Pizza Hut will host a #TBTMNT (Throwback Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) promotion on its Twitter and Instagram channels where fans can post their turtle swag or costumes for chances to win gift cards and other prizes.
- Leading up to the premiere of the Ninja Turtles movie, fans can learn the "turtle way" to cut a pizza "Katana Style" via a "Katana Cut" training video. Fans will then be able to order a pizza cut this way – in four Ninja Turtle-size slices instead of eight.
- The box topper for Cheesy Bites Pizzas will feature an augmented reality experience in which fans can unlock extended footage from the movie and additional content.
- All digital assets will also be housed on a new Tumblr page hosted by Pizza Hut.
Ninja Turtles hidden menu
To mark the partnership Pizza Hut is offering an exclusive online-only "hidden menu" that features Cheesy Bites Pizza recipes inspired by the personality of each Ninja Turtle. The recipes are as follows and are available for $13.99.
- Donatello's Favorite Pizza: Chicken, mushroom, green pepper and tomatoes;
- Leonardo' s Favorite Pizza: Onions, black olives, green pepper and mushrooms;
- Michelangelo' s Favorite Pizza: Pepperoni, ham, pineapple and jalapeño;
- Raphael' s Favorite Pizza: Pepperoni, Italian sausage, bacon and beef.