Whole Grain Sampling Day is April 2, and restaurants, retailers, food manufacturers and more are hosting promotions and low-cost or no cost items for the occasion, to introduce consumers to whole grains.
According to a news release, the third annual event is organized by Boston-based non-profit Oldways and its Whole Grains Council.
Below are some of the promotions planned by restaurant brands for the event:
- Denny's Restaurants will feature whole grain options from its FitFare line, including a whole wheat bun 40 grams of whole grain at lunch, and 100-percent whole grain rice at dinner.
- Genghis Grill is incorporating WGSD into its 4th annual Health Kwest Challenge. On April 2, each of 110 Khantestants in the 2014 Challenge will try a Genghis Grill whole grain option, and post a photo and blog entry about it to earn points toward winning the challenge.
- Rubio's Restaurants will be celebrating Whole Grain Sampling Day by offering $1 off any burrito served on a whole grain tortilla or $1 off any Two Taco Plate served on stone-ground corn tortillas for its Facebook fans.
- McDonald's USA plans to talk whole grains via social media.
- The National Restaurant Association will promote whole grains in kids' meals through its Kids LiveWell program and through social media. It is also making a whole grain education video available.
- Google is highlighting whole grains on April 2, at the more than four dozen cafés on their Mountainview, Calif., campus and around the country. All Google cafés will showcase a "whole grain activity" and will feature at least one whole grain, as a menu item or free sample. The company is also hoping to send "Googlers" home with whole grain samples and recipes to cook at home.
Here is a partial list of participants: http://wholegrainscouncil.org/get-involved/2014-wgsd-partner-activities.