The International Foodservice Manufacturers Association announced the winners of the 2014 Silver Plate Awards, which are operator awards for the foodservice industry.
Among this year's winners, in the "Chain Limited Service" category, is Steve Romaniello, managing director, Roark Capital Group. He was nominated by Coca-Cola Refreshments. Roark Capital's portfolio of brands includes FOCUS Brands, Arby's, Seattle's Best Coffee, Corner Bakery Café, Moe's Southwest Grill, McAlister's Deli, Carl's Jr., Hardee's, Cinnabon, Auntie Anne's and more.
From among the eight winners, each representing their respective segment of foodservice operations, one will be named the 2014 IFMA Gold Plate Award winner at the 60th Annual Gold & Silver Plate Celebration, May 19 in Chicago.
According to a news release, the IFMA Gold & Silver Plate Awards have included operators such as the late Charlie Trotter ('08), Ronald Shaich Chairman & CEO, Panera Bread ('05) and most recently John C. Metz, Jr. of Sterling Hospitality ('13). This year's awards celebration is hosted by Gold Plate recipient Jon Luther, former chairman of the board, Dunkin' Brands ('07).
The winners are nominated by IFMA members and chosen by a jury. This year's Silver Plate winners include:
- Independent Restaurants/Multi-Concept: Jack Williams, co-founder, Richie's Real American Diner (nominated by Idahoan Foods)
- Chain Full Service/Multi-Concept: Jim Broadhurst, chairman, Eat'n Park Hospitality Group (nominated by Bigelow Tea)
- Chain Limited Service: Steve Romaniello, managing director, Roark Capital Group (nominated by Coca-Cola Refreshments)
- Health Care: Lisette Coston, executive director of Support Services, Saint Francis Health System (nominated by Basic American Foods and Schwan's Foodservice)
- Elementary & Secondary Schools: Sandra Ford, director, Food and Nutrition Services, Manatee County Schools, (nominated by Schwan's Foodservice)
- Colleges & Universities: Mark LoParco, director of Dining, University of Montana (nominated by Schwan's Foodservice)
- Specialty Foodservices: Kevin D' Onofrio, director of Food Service, Culinary Group, United States Military Academy (nominated by Basic American Foods and Cadet Theodore Fong)
- Hotels & Lodging: Brad Nelson, VP Food & Beverage – Culinary & Global Corporate Chef, Marriott International (nominated by Bigelow Tea)