Sept. 23, 2013
Social Life Pizza, a craft-your-own Neapolitan-style pizza concept, marked its debut with last week's opening in San Diego.
Founder and CEO, Joseph DeSantis, whose family has a 55-year history in the pizzeria business, has developed and franchised several multi-location restaurant concepts throughout the U.S.
The first Social Life Pizza in San Diego marks the launch of the brand's national expansion, which will begin with a second store in The Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian Resort Hotel Casino in Las Vegas in early 2014.
Social Life Pizza's Neapolitan-style pizzas include dough made from imported Double Zero flour that is hand-stretched after a 48-hour fermentation process. The pizzas are then topped and fired at 900-degree temperatures in a high-heat-domed Forno oven. The pizzas take about 90 seconds to make.
Toppings include a mix of imported and local ingredients, such as San Marzano tomatoes and California produce, meats and cheeses.
Other menu highlights include:
- Traditional Pizzas start at $5.25 and include: Margherita Pizza, Marinara 'Tomato Pie' with San Marzano crushed tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, oregano, sea salt (no cheese), and the Blanco with olive oil, roasted garlic, fresh mozzarella, sea salt (no sauce).
- Specialty Favorite Pies include: Porco Blanco, a white pie topped with Prosciutto di Parma, arugula and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano after coming out of the oven and the Carne with San Marzano crushed tomatoes, whole milk mozzarella, pepperoni, sausage and salami.
- Additional toppings for Crafted-by-You Pizzas include: pesto, ricotta, fontina, meatballs, mild fennel sausage, prosciutto di Parma, artichokes, petite tomatoes marinated in EVOO & basil, caramelized onions, a mushroom medley and more.
- Gluten-free pizza crusts are available.
- A selection of salads is available, such as the Classic Caesar or Mozzarella and Tomato on top of a pizza crust, and Social Life Pizzas' specialty meatballs.
- Dessert pizzas include the trademarked Cinn-O'Sweet Pizza topped with a blend of Saigon Cinnamon, brown and cane sugars and vanilla bean sauce or the Cannoli Pizza topped with sweet ricotta blend, chocolate sauce, powdered sugar and Maraschino cherries.
- California wines and craft beer are available. A 10-handle tap will feature a regularly changing selection from breweries including Stone Brewing, Alesmith, Modern Times Beer, Saint Archer Brewing and more.
The first Social Life Pizza in San Diego is a prototypical end cap, strip-center location that is 2,500 square feet, and has both indoor and outdoor patio seating for more than 60 guests. An open kitchen and service area allows diners to watch their pizza bake in the domed Forno oven. A variety of table set-ups, including counter-level, communal and bar-seating, is available.
Read more about concept expansion.