Aug. 7, 2013
Travel website TripAdvisor has ranked its top 10 cities for pizza in the U.S., based on reviews and opinions from its users. Top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza.
In what may come as a surprise to many, Chicago did not make the cut, and New York City missed the top three. The ranking and highlighted comments include:
- San Diego: With more than 100 nearby pizzerias, including Bronx, Filippi's, or Golden Hill's Pizzeria Luigi where toppings include sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and homemade meatballs.
- Las Vegas: Favorite shops include Secret Pizza located on the Strip, Nora's where can try the "Snow White" pizza with a medley of cheeses, and Grimaldi's which boasts coal fired brick-oven pies made with "secret recipe" dough.
- Boston: Those visiting Beantown can enjoy Regina Pizzeria located in the Italian North End where the crusts are made from an 80-year-old family recipe. Also, Santarpio's in East Boston has been serving slices since 1903.
- New York City: Travelers to New York City craving authentic, thin crust pizza can find one at Lombardi's, Di Fara's and Patsy's, among many other places.
- Seattle: Downtown Seattle locals frequent Serious Pie where guests can order the homemade mozzarella and tomato creation, while the Flying Squirrel in Seward Park fixes its pizza with a selection of local meat.
- Austin , Texas: Renowned pizzerias include Frank & Angie's, Giovanni's Pizza Stand, and Roppolo's where guests can try the "Italian Mex" pizza, which honors Austin's Tex-Mex heritage with spicy flavors of jalapenos and red and gold peppers.
- San Francisco: Famed pizza shops include Delfina's, Tony's Pizza Napoletana, and Del Popolo's, a mobile pizzeria housed in a 20-foot transatlantic shipping container that boasts a wood-fired oven.
- Indianapolis: Among the favorite pizzerias are Jockamo Upper Crust, Brozinni, and Bazbeaux.
- Philadelphia: With a rich Italian heritage, this East Coast city offers more than 200 pizza eateries. Among the notable shops are The Tomato Bistro, Tacconelli's and Tony's Place.
- Phoenix: On the menu at Pizzeria Bianco guests will find varieties including the "Sonny Boy," and "Wiseguy," homemade dough topped with wood-roasted onion, house smoked mozzarella and fennel sausage.
"TripAdvisor travelers reveal that some of America's best pizza is being tossed on the West Coast, which flies in the face of the common perception that pizza is only a Northeast or Midwest specialty," said Brooke Ferencsik, director of communications at TripAdvisor.
Read more about trends and statistics.